In collaboration with the Punjab Information Technology Board, the Government of Punjab has introduced the Punjab Free WiFi program aimed at the installation of more than 200 WiFi hotspots. These hotspots will provide free internet access to at least 160,000 users. The program will eventually be extended to other cities beyond Lahore in the near future.
The free internet program has been given the tagline Enhancing Public Services Through Technology and is focused on availing free and reliable internet access to those who require it but do not have reliable access to it. The program is under the Digital Punjab plan which is aimed at reducing the digital divide in the population.
Although the plan was launched and has been functional since January, users report that it cannot be used when on the road. The uptake has so far been impressive with the Punjab Information Technology Board reporting that at least 7945 people were using this internet during the PSL 2017 Final match.
To access and use this free internet, you need to register with the service first. You can do all that using the Punjab WiFi app that comes with all the needed instructions.
Follow these steps to access free wifi by Punjab Government.
- First, go the Google Play Store on your device and download the Punjab WiFi app.
- When you launch the app, you will be presented with a map of the free WiFi hotspots around you. Besides that, there are instructions on how to use the app and accessing free WiFi.
- Go to your phone settings and turn on the WiFi. In the list of hotspots provided, look for PunjabWiFi and connect to it. Be patient in this stage as it may take a while to connect to it.
- When you add the address of any website in your browser, the Punjab WiFi page will come up.
- In the app, add a phone number and the PIN number sent to it as a text message.
- Enter your profile details and save them.
Just like that, you will have free internet on your device whenever a Punjab WiFi hotspot is nearby.