Microsoft has announced a 10-inch Surface Go which will hit stores on August 2nd. The Surface Go is priced $399, which is roughly PKR 45000. The laptop-tablet hybrid is extremely light, weighing in at only 1.15 pounds. Wow, my phone is heavier than this! Anyhow, this is the smallest Surface PC launched by the technology giant and fortunately, it doesn’t compromise on features.
The Surface Go is powered by an Intel Pentium Gold processor and has an SDXC port as well. The Surface Go comes with a USB-C 3.1 port that can be used for charging the device and transferring the data as well. In the software realm, the Surface Go has Windows 10 in S Mode. S Mode was launched last year and restricts the computer to Windows Store Apps exclusively. However, you can purchase the Surface Go with Windows 10 Pro through third-parties as well. This means that the Surface Go has basically all the features of the premium Surface Book, all with a fraction of the Surface Book’s price. It’s worth mentioning that the extremely low weight of the Surface Go means that it is ultra portable, making it the perfect machine for people on the go, especially travel bloggers.
Surface Go comes with Windows Hello, thus meaning that facial data can be used to sign in to the device. While all these features sound great, battery life is compromised because of them. The Surface Go has an expected battery life of 9 hours, which is significantly less than its more expensive trims. For example, the Surface Book has a battery life of 17 hours while the Surface Pro has a battery life of 13.5 hours.
Coming to technicalities, these are the specs of the upcoming Surface Go:
- OS: Windows 10 Home in S mode (consumers), Windows 10 Pro configurable to S mode (commercial)
- Mechanical features: Magnesium body, a kickstand with a full-friction multiposition hinge to 165 degrees, magnetic attach for keyboard fold stability
- Weight: 1.15 lbs.
- Screen: 10-inch PixelSense Display
- Resolution: 1800×1200 (217 PPI)
- Processor: Intel Pentium Gold Processor 4415Y
- RAM: 4GB/8GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3
- Storage: 64GB eMMC, 128GB/256GB Solid State Drive
- Cameras: 5.0MP front-facing camera with 1080p HD video, 8.0MP rear-facing autofocus camera with 1080p HD video
- Ports: USB Type C, Surface Connect, MicroSDXC card reader, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Power supply: 24 W power supply
The introductory Surface Go with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB Storage retails for $399 while the upgraded trim with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB storage will set you back $549. The 256 GB variant’s price is not yet confirmed.