A closer look
As is usually the case with its flagship devices, Samsung is releasing two variants of S8 (remember that is in addition to any chipset variants we will probably see). S8 is the smaller of the two siblings while S8+ is a little bigger and better in some aspects. Both of these devices sport the new “Infinity Displays”, Samsung’s version of a display with minimal bezels.
Both S8 and S8+ will also support a Corning Gorilla Glass 5 back panel. They will also be the first Samsung phones in recent history to support 18.5:9 display rather than a 16:9 display. Which means that S8’s 1440 X 2960 screen resolution will provide more vertical screen real estate.
Samsung Galaxy S8 specifications
Samsung Galaxy S8 is launching with these official specifications:
- 5.8 inch 1440 X 2960p screen with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- 3D touch for virtual home button
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 for US model while Exynos 8895 for EMEA region
- 4 GB RAM with 64 GB internal storage (expandable via microSD card)
- 12 MP primary camera with f/1.7 aperture capable of shooting 2160p@60fps or 1080p@120fps with simultaneous 4K video and 9MP image recording
- 8 MP secondary camera with f/1.7 aperture
- IP68 water and dust resistance
- 3000 mAh non-removable battery
- Android 7.0 Nougat with TouchWiz UI
Galaxy S8+ swaps the 5.8-inch display for a 6.2 inches one and bumps up the battery to 3500 mAh.
Samsung S8 and S8+ will start rolling out to consumers from 21st of April. S8 has a starting price of $720 (about PKR 75,000), while S8+ will retail for about $840 (about PKR 88,000). Remember these prices are not for Pakistani market, so expect some variation when this phone is officially released in Pakistan.