The Trump administration has introduced tighter US immigration rules that will subject some green-card applicants to greater scrutiny while also imposing new requirements on foreign students, exchange visitors, and journalists.
The latest change involves the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) application used by eligible immigrants already in the United States to apply for permanent residency.
USCIS has announced a revised Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, which will become mandatory on September 18, 2026.
The new form will coincide with the implementation of a Department of Homeland Security rule concerning public-charge inadmissibility. USCIS said there will be no grace period for the updated form.
Under the revised public-charge guidance, immigration officers will have a broader framework for determining whether an applicant is likely to become dependent on government assistance.
Officers will consider an applicant’s overall circumstances, including relevant factors and evidence, before making a decision. Certain immigrant categories remain exempt from the public-charge rule.
For people preparing to apply for adjustment of status, the immediate change involves the required paperwork.
USCIS said the September 18, 2026 edition of Form I-485 will replace the current January 20, 2025 edition. The agency will accept the older version only if it is postmarked or electronically submitted before September 18.
Applications submitted using the old form on or after September 18 will be rejected. USCIS has also advised applicants not to submit the new version before its effective date.
Form I-485 is used by eligible immigrants already in the US to adjust their status to lawful permanent resident. It is not used by applicants seeking a green card from abroad through US consulates.
The administration is also changing immigration rules for foreign students, exchange visitors, and representatives of foreign media.
A separate Department of Homeland Security rule will replace the long-standing duration-of-status system for F, J, and I non-immigrants with fixed admission periods and new extension procedures.
The rule will take effect on September 15, 2026.
Under the new system, foreign students and exchange visitors will no longer remain in the US for the duration of their programs under the previous D/S designation. Instead, they will receive a fixed admission period and may need to apply for an extension when required.
Foreign media representatives will also be subject to fixed admission periods and additional requirements under the updated rules.
USCIS has also moved to give immigration officers greater discretion when reviewing applications for immigration benefits.
Earlier this month, the agency reminded applicants and petitioners that they are responsible for providing sufficient evidence to establish eligibility. Officers may deny certain requests without first issuing a Request for Evidence or Notice of Intent to Deny when required initial evidence is missing or the law does not support approval.
USCIS clarified that this does not mean every incomplete application will automatically be denied, as officers may still issue Requests for Evidence in appropriate cases.
The latest changes represent a broader shift toward tighter oversight of legal immigration, with greater scrutiny of financial circumstances for some green-card applicants, closer monitoring of temporary immigration status, and stronger emphasis on complete applications.
For Pakistani applicants and others seeking US immigration benefits, the changes could mean stricter documentation requirements and less room for errors when submitting applications.
