11 Ways Facebook Has Changed Your Lives!
Happy Birthday, Facebook! As of today, we have spent 11 years of our lives on Facebook, scrolling down the News Feed, liking and commenting on friends & family pictures, sharing our life happenings and much more on the most addictive social media – Facebook.
Mark Zuckerberg made Facebook Birthday all about celebrating friendships saying,
“Today is a day to celebrate friends. It’s also Facebook’s birthday, but today isn’t about celebrating us. It’s about friendship.”
He added that friendship is not a distraction rather it gives meaning to our lives since we laugh, we cry, we learn, we eat, we shop, we work with friends; in most cases, we spend more time with our friends than anyone else. While we agree with Mark on his theory about friendship, we cannot neglect the fact that Facebook has indeed changed our lives. Now, it is for you to decide whether this change is for better or for worse.
Following are the 11 ways we think Facebook has changed our lives.
1. Facebook has become the primary source of receiving news, be it national, international or personal.
2. We have lost the value of time.
3. Nowadays people look more vibrant on Facebook but they have nothing going on in their actual life.
4. If your birthday is not on Facebook, no one remembers your birthday or even care about you.
5. Stalking has become an acceptable social activity.
6. Manners have gone to the trash, you can say anyone anything without feeling guilty about it.
7. In some cases, maintaining a social life has been limited to maintaining a Facebook life.
8. You are displaying your personality openly with every like, comment and share. It has just become easy for people to manipulate you.
9. Facebook Addiction Disorder (FAD) was coined by an American Psychologist. It is defined by hours spent on Facebook such that the healthy balance of the individual’s life is affected. The symptoms include
- They always try to gain emotional satisfaction on Facebook.
- They withdraw from recreational activities if restricted to use Facebook.
- They replace real dates with virtual dates.
- Last stage: Their life becomes Facebook as in everything they do involves Facebook.
10. It has become easier to show grief, to have sympathy and to help those in need. The trick is to change your profile picture, cover photo and status. Moreover, you can give one or two thumbs up and complain through your comments.
11. Every emotion expressed on Facebook seems 10 times more emotional than it is in reality.
Do you agree with these 11 ways Facebook has changed your lives? Let us know if we have skipped any Facebook-induced change in the comment section below.