Microsoft’s Universal windows platform for future graphics driver embraced by Intel
World’s largest computing-chip provider has announced that it will be providing Modern Windows Drivers for its chips from November 2018 onwards.
The new Modern Windows Drivers, also known as Universal Windows Drivers (UWD), will be specifically targeting Windows 10’s Universal Windows Platform (UWP). This basically means that Intel will be using Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform (UWP) framework for its current and future graphics drivers, which includes single packages that can essentially be installed on any Windows compatible device, let it be a PC, tablet or a 2 in 1 laptop. Users can revert back to the legacy driver, however, Intel advises against this as it would cause system instability. According to Intel the transition will be smooth and emphasizes that there shouldn’t be any impact on the user experience.
According to Microsoft, the reason for this change is to simplify the entire driver-writing process. Since a base driver can be used across all systems that share the hardware part, Microsoft can easily test the base driver with ease though Windows Insider Flights instead of limiting distributions to specific machines. This process is much more effective, quick and can broaden Microsoft’s reach.
These updated drivers bring efficiency in the software management as they include:
- Automatic gaming tuning
- Reduces RAM consumption when opening OpenGL
- Improvement in battery life
- Vulkan Driver stability Improvements
- Added support for several games including, Artifact and Farming Simulator
The expected graphics controllers that will receive to Modern Windows drivers include:
- Intel UHD Graphics 620/630 Coffee Lake
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 Coffee Lake
- Intel UHD Graphics 600/605 Gemini Lake
- Intel HD Graphics 620/630 Kaby Lake
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640/650 Kaby Lake
- Intel HD Graphics 610/615 Gemini Lake
- Intel HD Graphics 500/505 Apollo Lake
- Intel HD Graphics 510/515/520/530 Skylake
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 Skylake
- Intel Iris Graphics 540 Skylake