Here’s how you can get your passport renewed online
Pakistan’s very own online passport system has been under development for quite a long time. However, we now have an idea of what the system will look like when it is finally launched. The service hasn’t been launched yet; this is only a preview of what the service will look like.
NADRA, in collaboration with the Directorate General of Immigration and Passports (DGIP), are looking to launch a service that will allow Pakistani citizens to get their passports renewed without having to visit the Passport office themselves.
Though the service was initially targeted for Pakistanis living abroad, it will also be available for the locals as well. You can apply for a passport online if your current passport has expired or if it is less than 7 months from getting expired. After you have applied for the passport online, the renewed passport will be delivered to your address.
What do you need?
- Documents necessary for passport renewal.
- A printer for producing a hard copy of documents (such as documents that need a fingerprint impression).
- A digital photograph that is less than 5 MB in size and that fulfills the photograph requirements.
- A scanner for producing a soft copy of documents that you have to send.
- Debit card or credit card that will be used to pay the renewal fee.
How to apply?
- Go to http://onlinemrp.dgip.gov.pk/
- Here, click on ‘Get Started’ to preview the application form.
- Fill in your details and apply for the renewal.
According to the DGIP’s official website, this process should take around 15-16 minutes to complete from the comfort of your home.
The processing time for a passport varies from application to application but the deadlines given by NADRA are as follows:
- 10 working days for a normal renewal request.
- 4 working days for an urgent renewal request.
The fee structure for the service can be found here.
By the end, we would again like to mention that this is only a preview of the service and how it will work. The service has not been made functional yet, but it is expected that NADRA and the DGIP will soon start the online passport renewal system.