In recent news, the government has increased regulations on the import of mobile phones and other electronic devices since July 1, 2021. This is due to the FBR issuing ‘custom budget instructions’ to the Model Customs Collectorates (MCCs) for enforcement at ports.
This inevitably increases the import rate on mobile sets having:
- C&F Value in US$ (Up to 30$) from Rs. 165 per set to Rs. 300 per set.
- C&F Value in US$ ($31 to $100) from Rs. 1,620 per set to Rs. 3,000.
- C&F Value in US$ ($101 to200$) from Rs. 2,430 to Rs. 7,500.
- C&F Value in US$ (201$ to 350$) from Rs. 3,240 to Rs. 11,000.
- C&F Value in US$ (351$ to 500$) from Rs. 9,450 to Rs. 15,000 per set.
- RD has been increased on the import of mobile set with C&F Value in US$ (above $500) from Rs. 16,650 per set to Rs. 22,000 per set.
This is a way for the FBR to ensure that local products and items are being further supported especially in the case of electronic items. Moreover, this regulatory duty is said to boost the positive image of the country in regard to trading.